Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dream-ING

Here she is, my favorite author, Emily Giffin!

I should be dreaming, it's 3 am, but instead I am dreaming a different dream. A dream I just began, out of tears and frustration. I write the best when I am upset. Some of my best blog work was spun out of my miserable illness, pain, and fears. Tonight, the cause of the upset is different, but its effect on me is the same.

My dad and I have been discussing future plans, what I want to do with my life. I laughed, telling my parents that if I didn't need to make any money, and could do anything I wanted, it would be to write. I would be a writer, ideally one who makes a profit, a large profit. I watch my favorite author, Emily Giffin, on her Facbeook page, and I idolize her. She was a lawyer, turned writer, who took a chance to write NYT bestsellers, something she didn't even know she had in her. I feel I have so much in common with her, feel connected to her, and how silly. She doesn't even know who I am. Yet somehow, I see myself in her, and I know that I could do what she has done. My dad, my number one fan, who encourages all of my dreams, no matter how ridiculous (trust me, I have had some pretty outrageous ones), encouraged me to get started on the book. He told me to sit down and, as the Nike ads always say, "Just Do It." I've got an incredible story to tell, and I plan to tell it with a twist.

Tonight, at about 12 am, after an upsetting night out at some lame bar in Scottsdale, I did just that. I sat down, feeling defeated about life, and wrote. I wrote chapter one, of many, in my new life as a writer. I have no idea what I am doing, or how it comes together, but I am not sure Emily Giffin did either when she began writing or for that matter, the girl from Arizona, who wrote Twilight. Now my thoughts wander to my favorite crazy novel, 50 Shades of Grey, and I wonder what people thought of that author when she wrote her book! I would have been embarrassed to put my name on that cover, yet so proud at the same time.

I am no good at secrets, surprises, or keeping my mouth shut. I so badly want to post the entire chapter, but I know all good things take time. I will leave you with a quote from my sales meeting this week, brought to my attention by my biggest fan, my Daddio. "Tough times never last, but tough people do." Ain't that the truth??? I promise "ain't" won't be in my new book:-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi girl!! How exciting!!

    Ps- I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! http://tickledpinkmandy.blogspot.com/2012/07/versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete